Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Huevos Rancheros

I will admit, I had never had huevos rancheros before I made them. They seemed....interesting. Im used to eggs really only being for breakfast, so to put one on top of a corn tortilla and refried beans intrigued me. After trying them I can say, im not in love, but they were good and I can now say I tried them. If you like them and are looking for a healthier version then I think these are for you! You can also sub the refried beans for frijoles de olla, recipe coming soon!





Huevos Rancheros
Adapted from Biggest Loser Simple Swaps

Ingredients:

Ranchero Sauce:
2t olive oil
1 small yellow onion chopped
1T chopped garlic
1 (14oz) can diced fire roasted tomatoes
1/2t coriander
1/2t cumin
1/2t oregeno
1/2t salt
Pepper to taste
1/2t dried chipotle powder

For each Serving:
1 corn tortilla
2T fat free refried beans
1 fried egg


Directions:
For the sauce:
Heat oil in a nonstick skillet. Add onion and cook for about 5 minutes, or until softed. Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute longer, dont allow garlic to brown. Add the tomatoes, and seasonings, cook for a few minutes longer. Transfer sauce to blender or food processot and blend until smooth.

To make one serving:
Warm tortillas and refried beans, set aside.
Coat a small nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Cook egg however you like it.
Place tortilla on a plate and top with beans. Place the egg on beans. Top with ranchero sauce and garnish with cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment